Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Meet Undiscovered Shop: deermayor

by: popwhiz





Sherie of deermayor creates gorgeous and unique artwork, from detailed mandalas to beautifully drawn deer and hares to abstract ACEOs. Her shop, not yet four months old, has been featured on the front page time and again. We talked to Sherie about her shop, her creative process, and her tips for other shops just starting out….

popwhiz: Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from? Do you have a day job outside of your creative work?
deermayor: My name Is Sherie Myers, and I currently reside in Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada (born and raised!). I have an Honours B.A. in Visual Arts and Art History from the University of Windsor, and my main focus is painting and drawing. However, I do tend to dabble in photography and I’m learning how to cross-stitch and embroider. I currently have a permanent, full time job as a Letter Writer (or ‘Wordsmith’ as some may call it!) for a large government corporation. At times it can be stressful; however it keeps my grammar and writing in check, and every day something new and interesting is bound to happen!

pw: How do you like to create? Would you share a little bit with us about your creative process?
dm: I like to create with two major things happening in my studio. A great cup of coffee and music. I could not paint without music. Music brings out my inner thoughts onto canvas. It also zones me out, and lets my hands do the talking. Sometimes I over think too much, and with music, it relaxes me to freely create. I take a very organized and chaotic approach to creating. I always have 6-7 paintings on the go at once, strewn about the studio. I feel like I’d overwork one painting if I focused on it too much. So I’ll set it aside and start a new one, or work on an existing one. I always do this, it may seem unorganized, but it works! Also, I try and build and stretch all of my own canvas. I feel that people appreciate it more when you put in that little bit of extra hard work. It is also satisfying to create something from beginning to end.

pw: Which is your favorite piece in your shop? If you can pick one!

dm: My favourite artwork of the moment would definitely have to be my Aristotle’s Lantern. It just makes me happy to look at it. I love the colours I used. The grey in the background colour reminds me of a comfy grey hooded sweater, and my favourite colours are teals and blues. It reminds me of all happy things.

pw: What's the origin of your awesome shop name?
dm: This one is simple! Its a play on words of my own name! “Deer” or “Dear” is French for Sherie; and “Mayor” is either German or British for Myers. It also helps that I love deers and I am surrounded by them where I live!



pw
: What do you like to do with your free time when you aren't creating gorgeous works of art?
dm: I love taking long 2 hour runs. I am a running nut. However, last summer I wasn’t able to go as much as I wanted to, since I was painting more, and didn’t have as much free time! Fishing! I love to go fishing! It might be one of the most relaxing past-times there is. Nothing like sitting in the sun, stretched out on a boat waiting for a bite! Where I live, I'm surrounded by the some of the largest fresh water lakes on Earth! I love going on quick weekend road trips. I love quick 'trips up the highway' for a few hours to catch a glimpse at Lake Superior. It has to be my favourite thing to do, especially in the fall, when the leaves are changing. I also love traveling to far off places too. My passport is stamped full!

pw: Have you learned any important lessons while selling on Etsy thus far? Any tips for other undiscovered shops?
dm: One lesson I learned early was to be patient. If you truly have great art, people will want to buy it. It doesn't hurt to have great photos. I try to think like a buyer, and whenever I’m perusing through Etsy, its always the well photographed items that catch my eye. I think people naturally gravitate towards well photographed listings. The “Auto Adjust” feature on most computers can really make your images brighten and pop!

pw: deermayor has made it to the front page half a dozen times since you opened shop in July. Congratulations! How do you feel like that's affected your shop? Any tips on how you did it?
dm: I try to display my artwork a little bit different. If its one of my mandala illustrations, I'll maybe off-centre the image to give it a more interesting look. I also renew my items every once and a while. I think having my artwork on the Etsy Front Page has led to more traffic to my shop for sure! I have since received requests to display my art for several different blog features, which in turn, increases traffic to my shop.

pw: Is there anything else you'd like to share with us?
dm: I am only at the beginning stages of having an online presence for Etsy. Every time someone purchases a painting or drawing, my heart gets so excited, and starts beating fast! I hope that racing feeling never goes away! To know that someone, other than a friend or family member, is purchasing my artwork - for the work itself - without even knowing who I am, makes me want to keep doing what I'm doing, and motivates me to keep going!





You can find deermayor online at:
www.deermayor.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deermayor

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deer-Mayor/112039105493344

2 comments:

Kathleen Cavalaro said...

BEAUTIFUL shop! I love your work! Thanks for sharing with our team!

Unknown said...

Love your shop! Great interview, it's nice to get to know fellow teammates. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa
MoBoogie Handmade Boutique