Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Meet the Members! Michele of Lolasjewels

You Are My Sunshine handstamped copper necklace from Lolasjewels

Sarah, of WellCriated, recently interviewed Michele of Lolasjewels to learn more about her handmade jewelry business. Keep reading to learn more about the inspiration behind Michele's beautiful jewelry!

1. Describe yourself in 5 words.
Shy, caring, optimistic, loving and modest.

2. How did you pick your Etsy shop name?
Lola is the nickname that I have for my daughter, Megan. I have called her Lola since she was born. I wanted to name her that but my husband got to pick her name and I got to pick her twin brother's name (Keagan). I like the different names.

3. What made you want to become a crafter/artist?
My grandfather was always good with his hands and he made things all the time. My mother is the same way. She has always made crafts for as long as I can remember. She used to make clothes for my sister and I, and I hated it then because she would dress us alike and we were 7 years apart.......

4. Where do you get your inspiration?
Anything that I see, really. I find myself looking at things and thinking, “what could I do with this?” I love things from nature. I am just learning to work with metals and torches so I play around with that a lot trying to see what I can make. My husband keeps telling everyone that I am going to burn the house down. I do have an extinguisher by, just in case. lol


5. What makes your products unique from other jewelry shops out there?
When I first started on Etsy, it seemed like my products were not much different then the ones out there. I just started getting in my niche with inspirational words and catch phrases and it seems to work well so far. Anything that makes people happy or touches a soft spot in their heart is what I am looking to do. I love thinking of sayings or phrases and I am always looking for more so feel free to convo me with any ideas or sayings!

6. What is your favorite item in your shop right now? Why?
Honestly, my favorite is my wrap bracelets with the recycled scrabble tiles. My Island Sunset wrap bracelet is my absolute favorite! I love sunsets! It is very important to take time to stop and really look at the beauty of the world.

Island Sunset Bracelet


7. What do you do when you're not making jewelry?
I love to read books. Mostly romance and thrillers. What a mixture! I am also running constantly with little league sports for my three kids. I love to watch them play, though. I also work full time as a manager for three Internal Medicine offices.

8. What handmade possession do you cherish the most?
I love anything handmade. I would have to say any metalwork jewelry. I have a necklace that I bought from another Etsian that I absolutely love and wear every day. It is completely one of a kind and I think that is what makes it so special.

9. If you HAD to choose, which one would it be… Eco-friendly and manufactured in a foreign country? Or handmade locally but not eco-friendly?
That is a tough one… Eco-friendly is extremely important in this day and age but so is handmade. I love eco-friendly handmade products!

10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I am hoping to be doing this full time instead of working in healthcare. That would be my dream and I’m pushing for it! BELIEVE in your dreams!! I also see myself winning the lottery.

This interview was perfect timing because Michele is running a Heartsy deal, available tomorrow! Thank you to both Lolasjewels and WellCriated for putting this interview together.

No comments: